Ancient Diesel Arrived Twin Cities Yesterday

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Ancient Diesel Arrived Twin Cities Yesterday

Postby Mark D » Fri May 31, 2019 10:17 am

The covered wagon with a diesel engine inside arrived in tow at SPUD yesterday, 5/30/19.
Too bad it doesn't run.
Batteries are dead.
I didn't go over there so I don't know anything more. I also don't know where it will go once they get it to run.
Meanwhile I was at the 261 shop helping to replace a leaky tube.
Then I went home.
I don't really have much interest in old worn out diesel engines. However, this particular diesel locomotive means a lot to Steve. First, it was originally Milwaukee Road power, and more, his grandfather operated that engine often. His grandfather also ran the 261 during it's heyday.
It might be used on the TC&W in a few weeks. I don't know for sure, just a guess of mine. If they can get it to run.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: Ancient Diesel Arrived Twin Cities Yesterday

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:40 pm

Virtually every locomotive I have ever operated diesel or otherwise has been ancient. Back in the mid eighties I did some switching with a borrowed CSX GP 50 which was nearly new at the time. That is about the only even relatively new locomotive I have ever run. Congratulations on getting the E unit. It is appropriate with your engine and train set. Hopefully it can run some trips for you that would be to expensive with 261. Of course the E can go places 261 cannot possibly opening some more doors.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:06 am

The only thing I can see that might help out the Friends of 261 would be if it were able to be converted to PTC. But I don't see that happening. If it were able to be converted, and I'm not sure that it can be, then what's the point of the 261 operating trips? Might as well send it over to Jackson Street. (railroad museum)
But none of this is my call. It's just my own opinion.
Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:14 pm

I feel certain PTC can be installed on the E unit or any other diesel of any size for that matter. It is a question of money. A boxcar full should be about the right amount.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:38 am

I just found out the real reason we haven't operated Milw. 261 only on the TC&W for the past few years. Had nothing at all to do with PTC. PTC is still not mandatory.
It's all about insurance. When we were running to places like Duluth, Milwaukee, Chicago etc. it was with Amtrak insurance. And we paid dearly for that insurance from Amtrak. But then that new guy that came along to ruin Amtrak ended the operations of 'foreign' trains to operate on Amtrak insurance, even though they made a profit on the insurance when 261 operated under their insurance.
Mark D.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:58 am

I got an inside look at that ancient diesel that now takes up storage space in the yard yesterday. What a mess! It's infested with rust and dirt and pealing paint everywhere inside. Looks great from the outside. It has electrical issues that cause the battery that starts the GM 8V-XX (I forget the cylinder displacement on this particular GM V8 diesel) that does something that I don't know because I don't know diesel locomotives and don't really care to. I think it's in the 90's though.
It had some seats that obviously aren't original, not that it matters because they're at least in ok condition. The side windows are all glazed over and need to be replaced. On the outside it has pieces of body steel peeling away from the frame from rust. It's like a car that has lived its life in a state like Minnesota where they salt all the roads daily just to be sure that ice doesn't form. In states like that an automobile that is three years old will show signs of rust. After ten years it's gutted. That's what you see when you get close up. But from 20 feet or more away it looks like brand new on the outside.
The air horn has been replaced with a rectangular loud speaker similar to what might be used in an outdoor athletic field.

But there apparently is a plan to operate it in the near future, although I don't know just what, why where or when.

Return to “General Discussion”