A Well Written Story of the Restoration of a Big Boy

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

A Well Written Story of the Restoration of a Big Boy

Postby Mark D » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:34 am

The title says it all. Popular Mechanics Magazine got their fair share of publicity with a well written article about the Big Boy. Yes, it was written for the average person who knows nothing about steam locomotives, or even railroad anything, if you read it, you will learn a few things.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/techno ... ass-train/

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Re: A Well Written Story of the Restoration of a Big Boy

Postby Fitz » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Mark, definitely well written. We railfans have been subjected to the controversy between different factions about this restoration. This article is free from any preference for either side. Bottom line being the engine WAS restored, has run, and is scheduled for a lot more trips. A very real accomplishment by the UP steam crew. I will probably never get to see it run with my old age problems, but I did crawl all around it when it was in the museum in Cali.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:07 am

Well then, you will have been closer than I will ever get. I seriously doubt that I'm going to drive hundreds of miles just to see the thing. Yes, it's huge and a tribute to American ingenuity, but I can go and work on one that is about half the size of Big Boy any time I want to. And I actually still do that. Looking at something that's huge, but I can't touch is nothing compared to being able to get your hands on the most critical internal parts and where I can actually have a voice in the best way to do this or that. I'll take that any day.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:41 am

Tis is a well written story. UP would have to spend a lot more dollars to get this kind of good publicity in any other manner. It is great to see a railroad correctly use its steam program.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”