Be safe out there

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Al_Seever
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Be safe out there

Postby Al_Seever » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 pm

This happened Thursday, July 11th. I received permission to copy and paste.
Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota

"Witness or pictures of motorcycle accident today between Brady and Gothenberg today.

Can anyone who witnessed or may have gotten pictures of a Silver Ford F250 who pulled onto Hwy 30 then stopped to take pictures of the locomotive causing a major accident and then fleeing the scene please message me or contact the Dawson County Sheriff. The vehicle fled the scene before police arrived. The truck was a model year between 2011 and 2015. Any help is appreciated as a young mans life has been changed due to someones bad judgement."

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Be safe out there

Postby Mark D » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Where is brady and Gothenberg? And Dawson county? Is this in Minnesota?
The article says something about someone ...to take pictures of the locomotive. Which locomotive is this?
My guess is that this is miles away from here and the 4014 was the photo target.
Too bad that they don't have more to go on besides a pickup truck between 2011 and 2015.
Fleeing from an accident, injuries or not, and this was injuries, the person causing the wreck MUST stop and own up to it.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Al_Seever
Conductor

Postby Al_Seever » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Mark. Along US 30 in Nebraska with the 4014 running. Maybe someone had a dashcam? I hope the person responsible comes forward.

I think I'll catch it in a couple spots, but no chasing.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Was the victim killed? or hospitalized? I hope he just had maybe minor injuries. Had I been there and seen it I would have followed the axxhole until I could get cops on him.
Mark D.

Al_Seever
Conductor

Postby Al_Seever » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Mark, all I've seen on his condition is in the original quote from the Official UP Steam Club page. Sounds like a serious injury, but probably not life threatening. Here's the link to the post for us on Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/127426191 ... ef=m_notif

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:56 am

I must have missed this thread in the UP Official Steam page.

You try to encourage good stuff, and everyone having a good time... and there's just always one that gets a bug up their butt to do something audacious.

In the "Thread For 4014 Videos" on our page, I just put up a clip on page 2 -- a recent one -- that includes Ed getting the highball then stopping immediately after, having to get out of the locomotive and walk several feet up the track to scold a railfan for setting his camera on the rails and leaving it there...presumably he was going to reach in and grab it at the last minute.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 am

Some people just don't have the sense of a gnat.
Mark D.

Al_Seever
Conductor

Postby Al_Seever » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:12 am

Here's a link about the railfan receiving knowledge about camera placement. The video at the bottom of the article is of the incident.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota

https://trainfanatics.com/big-boy-engin ... C-Ja9TgY#0

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Windows told me that it has determined the link is dangerous (to that effect) so it won't allow me to see it.
However, the still picture of Ed Dickens with his left hand across the upper back of the shutterbug tells me all I need to know. He's being sort of fatherly with a calm lecture about the dangers of railroad anything.

Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Try this link Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnvVio8dnFw

Dickens stops the 4014 at about 15:30.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:58 am

That's a great video! I got a chuckle out of the way they grease the rods. One crew of two for the whole works. What a waste of time! On the 261 we use three guys on each side, thus using two guns. Now with that Big Boy they do have to move the engine a few feet or less to get at all the Alemite fittings, but two guns with three guys to a gun would still save a lot of time. And they had a U.P. actual revenue making train waiting all that time behind them.
Three to a gun works this way; One man to put the gun on the fitting and then operate the gun while man #2 feeds the grease sticks into the gun. Man #3 has a canister full of grease sticks and hands them one at a time to the #2 guy so he doesn't have to stop as his stick gets short. He can just put the new stick right on top of the short stick so the gun never has to stop until that particular bearing has all the grease it needs.
Their is more to it, but that's the most of it.
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”