Has anyone here...

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Has anyone here...

Postby Mark D » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:02 pm

... heading down to SPUD on Thursday? But moreover, if anyone has any knowledge on how they handle crowd control? Truthfully, I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has heard through the grapevine, or chased down the Big Boy and actually looked at it at a stop somewhere along the line? If so I'd like to know how strict they are about getting up close? No point in going if you can't get up close.
I'm planning on being at SPUD on this coming Thursday, shoving my brother around in a wheel chair and my cousin to help out. But I'm wondering about what, if any, restrictions they might be putting on for fear for someone getting burned or whatever. I have this vision in my nightmares that it can only be looked at through a window somewhere in the Depot itself.
Nevertheless I'll be going there toward the closing time. Were it not for my cousin who can't get off work soon enough makes sure we'll be late getting there.

Also, anyone who has knowledge of getting around at SPUD and could give me some pointers on where to go or how to find a way to get a wheel chair out to the Choo Choo.
I've been in the SPUD events calendar and there is nothing mentioned about the beast coming to St. Paul. I've looked around for more information, but nothing useful.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Al_Seever
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Re: Has anyone here...

Postby Al_Seever » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm

I plan on visiting the 4014 tomorrow. Maybe I'll see you there, Mark. Not sure about access. I'm hanging out in South St. Paul right now. There's already a few people around. It'll be a couple hours at least before the 4014 arrives.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:16 pm

I'll be there tomorrow as well. I plan on trying to park in Parking Lot A, though I've got a bad feeling Kellogg is going to be jammed.

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:11 pm

I plan on driving by as my son in law has to go to the doctor in downtown St Paul so will have free time while he is doing his procedure.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Robert T
Conductor

Postby Robert T » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:53 pm

Mark,

You should be able to enter SPUD from the dropoff point on Kellog Blvd. Once inside go to the right, I believe, to get on an elevator which will take you up to an area between the concourse and the main building. Then go all the way to the end of the concourse to Gate C. Go to the left and take another elevator down to the plateform level. I think they'll let you get close to the engine, but we'll see when we get there.

Here is link to the event.

https://www.uniondepot.org/up4014/

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:23 am

Great! y'all get some great photo's for the forum here. I won't be able to go. I figured this would happen. By the time I could get my cousin to stop changing dates and times it was too late to get a Metro Mobility van to haul my brother to the event. That was the point, to get my brother out of the Augustana care joint in downtown Mpls. for an hour or so. Well, anyway we needed a Metro Mobility van to haul the wheel chair case. We go with. I couldn't get in touch with him until after it was too late to book a trip. So, no go.
Maybe in another lifetime...
I've thought about heading in to the 261 shop and wait for it to go by. But I don't know when they're going to depart SPUD and I'd wind up standing outside waiting for, like, all the rest of the day Thursday, through the night and through Friday too.
So screw that. And I had actually dug around and found my camera to take photo's!!! That is a rare thing - me with a camera.
Mark D.

Robert T
Conductor

Postby Robert T » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:40 am

Mark,
I suppose you could go by yourself to see it. Who knows when it will come back here again.
Otherwise, on Friday the train leaves at 8:30 am if you want to see it at the shop.

Here is their schedule with a link to track it too.

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:39 pm

I stopped by this morning and it was swamped with people. Take him to Mpls by the shop and watch her pass. Much better! I cant believe u havent found the schedule yet!

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:56 pm

It wasn't about missing it, It was about Charlie not able to go because I couldn't get a Metro Mobility bus. They don't allow same day ride. You have to plan preferably 2 days out before the day you want. I didn't know that because I got my information from a sister who has done metro Mobility with Charlie, but she gave me wrong information. Plus, I couldn't get in touch with my cousin on the day before until it was too late to get a ride.
In short, it went south before we even started.
Mark D.

Al_Seever
Conductor

Postby Al_Seever » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:35 am

Sorry it didn't work out, Mark. Things happen. I hope you guys get out to see it run.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Attachments
a.jpg
The line was pretty long at 9 am, but moved quickly once the doors opened.
b.jpg
Many people, young and old, enjoyed the 4014s visit. Lotsa happy people.
c.jpg
Some minor work being done. Steve on the right.

Al_Seever
Conductor

Postby Al_Seever » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 am

One more from the rear of the train. I met up with a coworker, another lifetime member of Friends Of The 261, and we chatted so much I missed out on the tour of the museum car. Steve seemed pretty busy so I let him be, got to see Ed Selinsky and said hi to him. It was a great day.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Attachments
d.jpg
From the tail end of the train.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am

Great shots Al. Thanks for posting. Second to bottom looks like Steve S. with back to camera. The man stooping at left looks like Ed Dickens. My main desire other than the first and foremost of getting my brother there I wanted to meet Ed Dickens. I thought of driving up to Duluth by myself, but decided not to. It would be pretty stupid.

Mark D.

Al_Seever
Conductor

Postby Al_Seever » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:27 pm

Thanks, Mark. Yes, that was Steve Sandberg. I didn't see Ed Dickens while I was there. Only when he was running the 4014.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Return to “General Discussion”