March 21, 2002

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

BurlingtonJohn
Conductor

March 21, 2002

Postby BurlingtonJohn » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:16 pm

18 years ago today on 21 Mar 2002, the colors of the American Freedom Train made their triumphant return as 4449 backed out of the Brooklyn Roundhouse. Before you holler, there is nothing wrong with the lettering on the tender; they just hadn’t had time to take all of the masking off! In talking to the crew, they had every intention of repainting the auxiliary tender into r/w/b but the really crappy, rainy weather and the fact that the roundhouse roof leaked like a sieve making paint adhesion a real pain. As you can see, they barely finished getting 4449 ready.

While my SP friends may take umbrage with me, I think the r/w/b of the American Freedom Train is the finest scheme ever worn by 4449. My family and I had made the trip from San Diego for this occasion … the run on the 23rd from Portland to Bend was beyond epic, more on that later.

Regards,
Burlington John

img560.jpg

Mark D
Conductor

Re: March 21, 2002

Postby Mark D » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:54 am

How long did that engine stay in those colors? I remember when it was like that, And it was pretty cool, but I don't know when they put it back into it's normal livery?

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 am

I have to qualify this by saying I have never seen 4449 in person and am not fond of the color orange. I am with you in thinking 4449 looks much better in the AFT colors than the original daylight colors. For that matter I think it looked better black. I will go crawl in a hole and hide now with that second comment.

John Bohon

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am

John Bohon wrote:I have to qualify this by saying I have never seen 4449 in person and am not fond of the color orange. I am with you in thinking 4449 looks much better in the AFT colors than the original daylight colors. For that matter I think it looked better black. I will go crawl in a hole and hide now with that second comment.

John Bohon

I'm with Henry Ford on this subject... a steam locomotive can be any color as long as it is black!
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Return to “General Discussion”