Anyone riding steam recently or up coming?

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Anyone riding steam recently or up coming?

Postby Mark D » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:33 pm

I'm wondering if steam powered are becoming fewer and fewer as the years go by. Seems to me just a few years ago steam was running everywhere, or nearly that. Now there's nothing going on, again it seems to me it is that way, or close to it.
Is there any steam running outside of Disney Land and little closed course.
Just curious.
261 might be doing something, but there's nothing in the works.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Re: Anyone riding steam recently or up coming?

Postby tom c » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:46 pm

Rio Grande Southern is having its debut on Aug 1 & 2 at Golden Co. I almost went but went to Michigan instead. The Cumbres & Toltec is running steam out of Antonito Colorado 6 days a week. The Durango & Silverton is running one steam engine from Rockwood to Cascade Canyon and return 3 or 4 times a day. So Narrow Gauge is alive and well in Colorado.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:06 pm

It's been somewhat quiet here, but I have made a trip to Cass, WV and several trips to the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad in western North Carolina recently. It's been a tough year to find steam running.

Quintupleheader.jpg
Attachments
Chicago Metal.jpg

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:34 am

Things are opening slowly. TVRM began running their very successful diner trains a couple of weekends ago. There are at least some of TVRM's long distance excursion trains to Georgia planned for the fall color season and some will feature steam. I am not sure if they will go all the way to Summerville. Their yearly Thomas trains have been canceled but hopefully some sort of Christmas trains will operate. The passenger trains have had good passenger counts for the most part but running so few trains have those counts far below what they have been probably for at least a couple of decades. There is also hope of the Hiwasse River Railroad rides returning for the fall color season. TVRM has been steadily plugging along repairing major flood damage that occurred there over Easter weekend this year. Without their freight business TVRM would no doubt be in dire straights.

Also in recent weeks I have noted the Reading and Northern has come back to life in PA with their passenger trains. Also the WW&F is back to running their 2 foot gauge steam trains in Maine. The Tennessee Central Railroad Museum in Nashville will begin operating their excursion trans with diesels next month as well. I am sure there are others to be added to the list.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:17 am

At the 261 shop things are going slowly with the stay bolts because I and another guy only go there on Thursdays, and last week we didn't get a chance to touch the engine. I was instructed to remove a bunch of diesel fuel lines and filters and gauges from a power car that used to be owned by some circus group. That, only to be moved to the other side of the car. Even that takes time and I never got to the steam engine.
THIS week I've been stymied by my wife who conned my first son who lives in Fargo to come down to our place in Litchfield township to 'help' me put up some heavy treated 2 X 10 planks that have to be shoved up from a ladder. This is a wood deck on the back of the house that's 14 feet off the ground. The yayhoos that built it in 2000 used just plain wood, which naturally rotted into mush after 20 years. Getting the old boards out was easy. Gravity is good, but only one way - but actually the boards were so rotted they didn't have much weight at all.
Yeah, I can't do it by myself because of the weight and the difficulties of getting them in proper place and then get a few screws into it to hold them there until we have all the fasteners in place. Naturally, it had to be on this Thursday. But then, son said he might not be able to come this Thursday, but will let us know at the last moment.
So, in the end I'll wind up not going to the locomotive shop to do something I LIKE to do and not doing anything productive either here or there.

BUT there is a silver lining.
The reason that the staybolt inspection is going on is because Steve obviously has plans to operate it somewhere somehow. I just don't know when or where.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”