Duluth's Yellowstone

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Duluth's Yellowstone

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:02 pm

Long before I saw a Union Pacific Big Boy, I saw a Duluth, Missabe, and Iron Range Yellowstone: 2-8-8-4 227, at the Duluth railroad museum. For a young boy, being able to not only look at but go into the cab of a big steam locomotive was the stuff of dreams. Every time I have been back in 227's cab, I feel like a kid again. Here is the glorious 227 as she looked on August 16, 2015, when I revisited the museum. Also included is a view of 227's firebox and the myriad of gauges in its cab.
DMIR 227 LSRM 8 16 2015.JPG
DMIR 227 bulkhead LSRM 8 16 2015.JPG
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

tom c
Conductor

Re: Duluth's Yellowstone

Postby tom c » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:36 am

Tony, That firebox is IMMENSE! It makes a very great exhibit doesnt it. I really liked the wheels turning and the video that played with it.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:19 pm

I know only about 1/4 of what those knobs are for. How many people know what ALL of them do?
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:24 am

Charles, that is a great challenge! I am not sure even being in the cab and following the lines would we know what they all did. I think that died with the last engineer who ran these engines.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:55 am

From the cab it would be pretty easy to understand what all the valves control. An educated guess would get a lot of people pretty close. The most difficult part would be the turret valves. It is hard to know which valves control what but not that hard to figure out all the things controlled from the turret. I think I see little signs under the valve handle extensions that would make things really easy. It is important to remember you only touch most of those valves occasionally. That way you do not need 8 arms to run the engine.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”