News Flash: Milwaukee Road 261 Oil Firing Study

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

News Flash: Milwaukee Road 261 Oil Firing Study

Postby SOO2719 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:46 am

Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: News Flash: Milwaukee Road 261 Oil Firing Study

Postby John Bohon » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Mark told about this development a while back so at least for this group it is not that much of a news flash. Coal as a fuel source is on the way out so the conversion makes a lot of sense. It is far easier to fuel 261 on the road with oil and the bunker will hold enough oil they can go a lot further on a load than on coal. There are also no ashes to dispose of which is more complicated than just taking a ballast regulator and sweeping them away. The real hitch I see in the future is that both oil and gas are on a finite time frame to be used as a source for fuel. Assuming we can keep finding ways to make steam engines run and pay for it even converting to oil or gas may still bring an end to the whole thing eventually. My last comment would be that it is hard for me to wrap my head around the fact it costs close to a quarter of a million dollars to make the conversion. That is a lot of machine, pipe, brick, front end, and engineering work even at today's prices.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”