More on railroad books

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

More on railroad books

Postby Mark D » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:02 am

I inherited a whole bunch of railroad and other books from my dad.
I have literally boxes and boxes of railroad books and timetables.
When I get some time, I'm thinking of donating them to a library. Unfortunately, I've learned that libraries tend to destroy books they consider to be not up to date. IOW, old fashioned.
I really don't want these books destroyed, but I would like others to be able to enjoy them and learn from them.
Any better ideas out there on what to do with them?
I might have posted this some time ago, on the old forum. I don't remember that I got any replies that I felt would work.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Re: More on railroad books

Postby tom c » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:21 pm

Call (218) 722-1273 Duluth and see if they are interested. You can contact the MTM over in St. Paul also as they have a working library now IIRC. The Colorado RR museum is my favorite as they have the Robert Richardson library. I can get you an 800 number if you want to contact them.

Tom C.

Brent A
Conductor

Postby Brent A » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:13 pm

You could always bring 'em by your favorite steam locomotive shop and let the crew guys look through them......
Brent

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:28 pm

Or, on the next excursion, in your spare time (hehheh) set up a table and sell them as memorabilia, and contribute the income to Friends of the 261.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Yeah, and I could glue a photo of 261 to the cover of each book.
I like Brent A.'s idea. Only that's too far of a drive. I could take them to the closest steam locomotive shop, though, and let the crew there use them to light the next fire.
I do like the idea of the Duluth Museum. I'm going to contact them. I think they'd get the most exposure to the most people in that sort of use.
But a great many are coffee table books. I don't know how interested they'd be, but I'll ask.
There is one. This one maybe someone could shed some light on.
I mean, I know what it is, but is there any desire for this sort of book among casual studies of American railroad histor?
It is the United States Code Annotated, Title 45 - Railroads.
Copyright 1943, West Publishing, of course.
Some contents include things like, in Chapter 1 Safety appliances and Equipment on Railroad Engines and Cars, and Protection of Employees and Travelers

Ch-2 Liability for Injuries to Employees
Ch-5 Government-aided Railroads
Ch-6 Mediation, Conciliation, adn Arbitration in Controversies Between Carriers and Employees
And on and on and on. 1196 pages
Then in the back is an attached copy of The actual current for 1954 U.S. Code, Title 45. As it says, "... contains the laws of a general and permenant nature to November 1, 1953, including laws enacted at the First Session of the 83rd Congress, which adjourned sine die August 3, 1953..."

I think this book would have some significance to those who study railroad case history, maybe?
Interestingly, it still contains the original sales receipt from 1953. Bought in Chicago for ten bucks. From the burdette Smith Compay, 111 East Washington Street.
Anyone who lives in Chicago might know where that is???

Others are much newer. Like "The Lake Superior Iron Ore Railroads"
"The Worlds Heaviest Trains" by Patric C. Dorin, Copyright 1969
Nice picture of Yellowstone 236 crossing another railroad on a bridge on the cover.
I haven't read it yet to find out why these were truly the worlds heaviest trains, but I probably will. It looks like it's mostly pictures, so it won't take long.
Cool photo's of now long since scrapped ore boats, as they were called in those days, loading at the docks. Cliffs Victory among them.

Great photo of the Two Harbors yard in its heyday.
With all the steam in the photo, I can't tell for sure but there are at least 7 or 8 steam locomotives running around there.

There's another that's only indirectly related, but interesting. Steam Power and Internal Combustion Engines, 1931, 1937.

Oh, interesting!!! It appears not all Milwaukee Road steam was cut up as early as I had always thought.
Here's a photo of Milwaukee Road Mikado #360 doing duty on the iron range! It says the Milwaukee also sent 1600 hp. Fairbanks-Morse switchers to the "ore district" too. Hmm. I'll have to read this whole thing. It refers to the "ore pool' for power. Now I wonder if the Milwaukee was part of the ore pool???
Yep, without the time to read beause I'm trying to bore everyone to death with this long typed missive, I find a crude map showing Milw. Pd. Ore Lines This (was) all in the U.P. from Champion to Ironwood. and also Channing to Kelso Jct and Iron River. Hey! I know these places! Cool!

Yeah, there's a lot of interesting stuff here. I'll bet the Duluth museum would like to add at least some of these to their collection.
I'm going to talk with them and see what's up.
And maybe I'll bring some to a locomotive shop near me and see if any of the crew has any interest in some.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”