A Chinese couple in a German-American colony

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

A Chinese couple in a German-American colony

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:28 pm

Hey MARKD... this is especially for you, maybe as some payment for the words you have shared that we all enjoy so much.

A bit tardy, but Steam Locomotives are always fun.

I managed to get my video of the September 2006 Chinese Locomotives Double-header passenger excursion being turned on the IAIS/CRANDIC wye in the Amana Colonies edited down to under 10 minutes and 100Meg and posted to YouTube.

A Chinese Couple in a German-American Colony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKxroW2VopU

Just a couple of notes:

The voice audio is from my handheld radio scanner being held in the same hand (by the antenna) as the one holding the camera.

The video is a bit boring in the middle but the engineer of the lead engine puts on a great show as they exit the wye.

Be sure to look for the "zebra" exhaust. Then watch it again and try to ignore the exhaust and note the large bush being "steam cleaned" from a boiler blowdown.

Then there is the foamer holding a kid getting his socks "steam cleaned" as well, as he runs from the line side. The foamers were just TOOO close to the track. Scary.

BTW, Mark... I think that the Cedar Rapids really needs a small sticker on the front that reads "Marion"... you see, greater Cedar Rapids is composed of Cedar Rapids proper and the small towns of Hiawatha and Marion... the car has the name "Cedar Rapids" on the side as well as the name "Hiawatha" in crome on the back, shouldn't "Marion" get some billing too? :wink:
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Re: A Chinese couple in a German-American colony

Postby Mark D » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi Charles
I'll give that one a try, but unfortunately I'm hooked to a dial up that gives me anywhere from 12.6 to 21.6 K performance. That's a lloonngg time to download a video file. I'm not even sure if the software I have available will show you tube video. Everyone these days seems to have their own format. I have the microsoft windows media player.
That's about it. Maybe something else in here somewhere that I've forgotten about.
But it'll have to happen sometime way late at night when I can tie the phone up for a few hours.
Thanks for thinking of me, though. I sure was there.

Problem with the Cedar Rapids is that the Milwaukee Road didn't put Marion on the car. For that reason, I don't think Steve would do that either. I s'pose another car could be named Marion when it gets painted into maroon, orange and black. Probably not the most striking name for a passenger car, though. Better name for a fishing tug. Truely, I remember a fish tug on Superior with that name.
Now I know where they got the name. lol

I hate to show my ignorance of where I've been, but I've said before on Chaski that I usually don't have a clue where I am, where I'm going or where I've been and I don't really care as long as I'm going.
But, where are the Amana Colonies? (Do they make refrigerators there?)
Wondering just which of the several QJ trips this might have been on?
Thanks,
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:19 pm

The Amana Colonies are just west of Iowa City and Southwest of Cedar Rapids. This trip was the excursion from the Quad Cities to Iowa City. I can't remember the exact date, but the 261 was not on this particular excursion although it obviously brought the cars to the Quad Cities. I think it was on Thursday before the major excursions over the weekend that went into Illinois and down the Mississippi with the river boat.

The Amana Colonies are a series of VERY small villages (most less than a couple dozen houses) spread over several square miles, of some historic importance to this area. It is now mostly great restaurants and antique shops and general 'turn of the century' ambience and tourist leisure. The Amana Woolen Mills, and Amana Furniture are quite famous for their wares.

And, yes, that is where Amana Refridgeration is (was) located. (They got bought by Maytag and I'm not sure what all is still being manufactured there.)

As for putting Marion on the car... I personally have no vested interest in it as I live in Cedar Rapids, but I know some folk from Marion and being Marion Boosters, well, you know the type, so we have joked about it. :lol:

As for you using YouTube. Yes, downloading videos takes a long time and this one is HUGE, almost too big for YouTube to accept. Fortunately, I believe YouTube installs any necessary drivers for you and all their "output" is of one format (not necessarily what the author uploaded) so supposedly any computer can view the videos. UNfortunately, you have to view it while it is downloading, as it does not store it someplace for you to call up later at your leisure (without being somewhat tricky).

SO... I seem to believe you are from the Minneapolis area, right? Well, I have a CD of the video (pre-slashing it up for YouTube) and I am traveling to the Minneapolis area this coming weekend (gonna help my son plant a bunch of trees on his property near Zimmerman). If you could get me an address where I could drop off the CD for you, I would be glad to do so. Um... this'll be embarassing for me if I am wrong, but isn't the 261 based there someplace? I could drop the CD off there if I had some idea where it was and you could pick it up the next time you are there.

I'll get it to you somehow!
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Brent A
Conductor

Postby Brent A » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:17 pm

The trip was Friday,September 15 2006.
Rock Island to Iowa City and Homestead.
I almost couldn't believe how many people were waiting out there for the train to be turned. It was a beautiful day. They all are when steam locomotives are involved though.

Thanks for posting the link to the video. Having a high speed connection at work is great.

Mark, I can get this video to you also. See you Thursday???

Charles, If you are coming through the Twin Cities, when would that be?

Brent
It's like the same thing, only different. (Tommy Chong)

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:32 pm

Ok, Brent. If you can get the video to me, that's great. But does that mean you have a way to save it to a CD?
Charles;
If Brent can't get it to disc, the 261 shop is right in Minnepolis. There will (I'm pretty sure) be people there Saturday. I can't make it, but lots of guys do make it on Saturday. I have to work.

That trip... That sounds very much like the one where I fired the second QJ while on the return trip with Swanee trading off. (One guy scooped coal while the other ran the injector, and then they would trade)
Charles, I was on all the trips. I would keep the fire hot on 261 over night, and note that our new version of a tool car was at the head of the consisit. My room is in one end of that tool car. I needed to sleep at some point. But I was able to fire one QJ on a return leg from one trip we ran. I think that might have been it. I remember a big wye with white ballast in a little tiny town with hordes of people. I think it was the day before the triple header. (?)
Yeah, I'd love to see that video.
Let's see if I can get it one way or the other?
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:52 pm

MarkD... I think I sent you a PM (Hope hope).
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Harlock
Conductor

Postby Harlock » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:51 am

I'll never get over those push-button whistles. But QJs in the US, too cool. Do they have the rice-cookers in the cab still? :)

--Mike

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:24 am

I saw no sign of rice cookers in the cabs. I thought the Chinese crews just used the firebox in time tested tradition.
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 am

Given the digital world of today, what's wrong with a digital whistle?

On......... Off...
On......... Off...
On... Off...
On......... Off...

Just like Morse Code! :wink:

Yeah, kind'a "lifeless"... just like my cornpewter.

Remember, computers are neither smart nor dumb... they're MEAN, just plain ol' ordinary MEAN! :twisted:
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Return to “General Discussion”