The other Canadian Pacific steamer

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

tim o'm
Conductor

The other Canadian Pacific steamer

Postby tim o'm » Sun May 13, 2007 10:52 pm

Steamtown National Historic Site in Scranton Pa. has returned its 4-6-2, no. 2317 to steam this past week, with runs in the steamtown yard beginning on May 10. She has been out of work since Dec 10, 2005, after several nights on the Slocum Hollow's Christmas Magic trains. New drive wheel tires on the No. 3 drivers, and rebuilt tender trucks will allow her to return to the main line this year, her first since Oct 2003. The proof of her power will be determined on Saturday, May 19, with a run to East Stroudsburg, PA, about 57 miles away. Right now, the train is nearly sold out. See you there.

Mark D
Conductor

Re: The other Canadian Pacific steamer

Postby Mark D » Mon May 14, 2007 9:58 am

That's great news. I remember when they took it out of service. It seemed at the time that everyone with an opinion was saying it'd never run again, or variations of that theme.
Wish I could be there, but work intervenes again.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Mon May 14, 2007 6:23 pm

It's always good news when a steamer returns to service. Yet another ex CP steamer recently returned to service, the Royal Hudson 2860. I think (but not sure) it's ironic that since BC Rail sold out to CN, she would have to run on CN rails. True? I will be in the foamer mode this weekend, heading up to Tacoma, WA to ride behind the SP 4449/UP 844 doubleheader to Everett and return. Hopefully photos will follow.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue May 15, 2007 3:25 pm

Fitz
Do they do cab tours for the public with the 4449? Maybe the 844?
If so, try to get some cab shots, if it's not too much trouble?
I'd like to see those cabs. I've already seen about 7000 wedgie shots, but no cab shots.
Mark D.

Brent A
Conductor

Postby Brent A » Tue May 15, 2007 5:05 pm

Mark, Those photos will just confuse you, with no shovels, rakes, or black stuff around.....
It's like the same thing, only different. (Tommy Chong)

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Tue May 15, 2007 6:19 pm

I agree with Brent. The cabs are open for tours all week in Fife, both locomotives. Unfortunately I won't be there for that, just the trip. I have to have cab pictures of 4449 somewhere, having been in that cab many times. I don't have 844's. Maybe I can get one Sunday after the trip if I don't rush down to the Mt. Rainier Scenic, which has just announced a steam trip that Sunday for those of us who didn't have enough with the doubleheader. I will find one of 4449 and post it now.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue May 15, 2007 7:54 pm

Wow! They sure keep it clean in there! They must spend many hours cleaning up all the coal dust and soot!
Maybe that's why that guy is sitting in the engineers seat? Keeping it all cleaned up for Doyle?

I'm not so cornfused in there as one might think. I spotted the water glass, the tri-cocks, reverser, what appears to be the sander valve, the brake stand (funky! original looking stuff, there!) the radio, and a ton of other stuff I already forgot since I looked at the photo.
Mark D.

bn6363
Railfan

Postby bn6363 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Mark D wrote:Wow! They sure keep it clean in there! They must spend many hours cleaning up all the coal dust and soot!

Watch it... the oil fired steam mafia might show up at your door if you keep talking like that... :wink:

In all the times I've been in the 4449's cab, I don't think I've ever seen it dirty. And I also don't think I've also ever taken any photos of the cab ether. I didn't even go near the cab today when I was down there at Fife. Just looked around for a few minutes, said hello to Doyle since I haven't been down to work in awhile.

Maybe I should drag out some photos of the cab of that "other" 4-8-4 in Tacoma... Those would really scare you... :twisted:

Daniel

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Wed May 16, 2007 4:28 pm

I'm sorry we changed direction on this thread, probably should have started another, but it's all steam so it must be good. If you haven't seen the hijinx going on between the UP and SP crews, go look at TO. When UP 844 arrived at the UP/BNSF junction to join up with 4449, Steve Lee slapped a "patch" over the 4449 number, a bright yellow "Y845". Not to be outdone, when the UP guys arrived at Fife this morning, their 844 tender now reads "Southern Pacific." Gotta love the cameraderie. :roll:

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed May 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Fitz wrote:I'm sorry we changed direction on this thread, probably should have started another, but it's all steam so it must be good. :roll:

And to that end,
Tim, will you update us on how operations go this weekend and next?
I wish I could go see it, probably meet you there, but I simply cannot do that. Next best thing is to hear about it.
Thanks, Mark D.

tim o'm
Conductor

Postby tim o'm » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:53 pm

Sorry that I have been away so long. Actually, the three mainline trips run by Steamtown so far, have been flawless for the locomotive. The East Stroudsburg train got the most notice, but the Tobyhanna and Moscow trips were also good as far as sales, weather, and engine performance. People keep telling me how loud 2317 is,(compared with CN 3254) but I guess I don't listen well, because after all these years, I just don't notice.
We are experiencing problems with the passenger car brakes applying at what seem to be random intervals. This is not making for a rough ride, but it is over-heating the coach wheels, which will shorten their lives if left unchecked. The crews are analyzing the problem, and I have heard some proposed solutions, but no decisive action has been taken yet. They have ruled out the engine, however.

Next up for firing is CN 3254. On June 7, the FRA boiler inspector will be in, while they run her hydrostatic test. We already ran our own, with no problems, so we expect her to be up and running rather soon, too.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:06 pm

Interesting post, Tim. Great to hear the old girl is out showing her stuff again. Any photo's?
Where you say the brakes are "applying" at times, do you mean all the cars? Or just one? And are they going full service, or a light application?
Do you maybe have a kicker in the string? Or, a leak? Ornery valve?
Mark D.

tim o'm
Conductor

Postby tim o'm » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 pm

Hi, Mark:
Actually, photos are not my best suit with these online forums. There are plenty on Railfan.net, if you are looking. A small team of teenagers is keeping tabs on every move that STEA makes.

As far as the braking, four of the six cars were applying at 5% application, and it took the other two until 7% to respond. I have heard many theories on this, but don't know enough about brakes to say much myself. I may even be using the wrong terms to describe them right here.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:57 am

Hi Tim
Ok on the photo's. Just out of curiosity, is it because, like me, you don't tend to take a lot of photo's? Or, is it more the hassle of putting them up on a photo hosting site and then linking them to a forum? Just curious. I find using hosting services to be a pain, but I do it at times.
On the brakes, I'm sure there are people there who'll forget more about air brakes than I'll ever know. They'll figure it out. I'd be curious, though, to know just what the trouble is. If you find out, would you let us know?
appreciate it.
Mark D.

tim o'm
Conductor

Postby tim o'm » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:34 pm

While those reading up on steam locos will notice more quickly, I have to report that 2317 missed one excursion this season, on June 16. During the 30 day boiler wash and inspection, mechanics found a cracked wear plate on one of the tender trucks, plus at least 4 leaking superheaters. The repair was taken care of quickly enough, but took one day too long, thus missing the trip to Moscow, PA.

Back on her feet the following day, she went back into yard train service, and hasn't missed a beat since. Today, she ran unassisted to Tobyhanna and return, and will take on the June 30 Delaware Water Gap assignment next Saturday.

Steamtown's other queen of the rails, CN no. 3254 may be finished with her annual inspection by late July/early August. One of our chronic problems with this one has been a leak in the tender around the stoker. This was wetting the coal, and causing worry among the crews that she might run low on water. Last Wed, the repairmen tackled this by cutting out a huge piece of steel, and are preparing its replacement.

As far as the photos, I mostly take slides, so I need to scan them, before going through the process of photoshopping and all that. If I was 20 years younger, I would have the patience to deal with this, but it will take some time for me to catch up with the kids. Also, railfanning on the job is frowned upon, so I have to take pictures when I'm not busy. This can limit my opportunities.

Return to “General Discussion”