Jeez, I leave you guys alone for a few years...

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Wowak
Conductor

Jeez, I leave you guys alone for a few years...

Postby Wowak » Sun May 11, 2008 12:21 am

Where'd the big engines go?

261 trips getting canceled?

765 all dressed up with nowhere to go?

No news on the Four-and-a-quarter?

2100 - cold. (ok, not really too surprised about this.)

Wheres the Daylight hiding? Doyle too wrapped up with his Alco? What about the 700?

At least 3751 is getting out this year, but I definitely can't make it to the west coast.

Please tell me its not all over. C'mon guys.
-Former Moderator

Q4960
Conductor

Re: Jeez, I leave you guys alone for a few years...

Postby Q4960 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:18 am

Hey-good to hear from you!

It's not over!!

Big engines? UP 844 and 3985 will be making appearances.

261's website still shows the trips to Milwaukee running, and doing photo ops (freight & passenger) this weekend.

CP Hudson is running, a PM berk, etc.

Come up to Freeport, Illinois and for a suggested donation, you can put your hand at the throttle.

Plenty of steam! Check out the link:
http://www.diary.svsfilm.com/
Silver Creek & Stephenson Railroad Engineer, Fireman, Conductor, Etc.

Roger Holmes

Hogger1225
Railfan

Postby Hogger1225 » Sun May 11, 2008 8:55 am

PM 1225 will be out and running next Sat.
I get paid for doing what you like to watch! LOL! (jk)

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sun May 11, 2008 4:20 pm

Brian, 4449 will run to Sherwood June 14, and 700 will operate for four days later in June on the Oregon Eastern. Hey, they've all been asleep for the winter, you know?

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun May 11, 2008 6:26 pm

It's always good to hear from you Wowak.
But if you heard that 261 has cancelled trips, that means someone has started a rumor somewhere.
The Milwaukee trips are going to happen, as Q4960 said.
The photo special that ran this weekend on the T.C.&W. went off just fine, too.
And one thing one can count on is that while 261 will be O.S. this September, all the work for the big boiler inspection would not be getting done if there were not serious plans to make much more use of that engine.
So keep some hope up, Brian. There's going to be stuff happening, barring a major unforseen turn of events.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

bbunge
Railfan

Postby bbunge » Wed May 14, 2008 12:30 pm

Don't know if it counts as "big" but there is a very pretty, high stepping thoroughbred running several times this summer on the R&N.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Wed May 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Ah, would that be that "blue" engine that is getting so much chatter on another forum?

Wowak
Conductor

Postby Wowak » Thu May 15, 2008 12:29 am

Yeah, funny that on the same day I posted "no news on 425?" she was all dressed up and running out to Jim Thorpe.
-Former Moderator

nathansixchime
Railroader

Postby nathansixchime » Thu May 15, 2008 3:07 pm

Wowak wrote:Where'd the big engines go?

Where'd ya get that idea?

Wowak wrote:At least 3751 is getting out this year, but I definitely can't make it to the west coast.

Please tell me its not all over. C'mon guys.

They've been working tirelessly for years to make this trip happen. This, and other planned operations, has been victim to false starts, financial challenges, and long term negotiations with officials to get all the ducks in a row -- and their future relocation can only bode well for them.

I'd guess that for every major mainline steam trip we see there are at least three others left on the drawing board for one or more of the above reasons.

All it takes is one bad wye, too few passenger cars, an unrepaired bridge, and the ever-encroaching deadline to shelve one plan in order to move onto the next.

Edit: Also, a certain CP Pacific has been making the rounds in Ohio in the past year and will likely be doing it again: http://www.bsrw.org/

Wowak
Conductor

Postby Wowak » Fri May 16, 2008 12:41 am

nathansixchime wrote:
Wowak wrote:Where'd the big engines go?

Where'd ya get that idea?

Well, mostly from the fact that 765.org doesn't list any excursion schedule 765, only for her to be fired up for an open house.
-Former Moderator

Tim Botti
Railfan

Postby Tim Botti » Sat May 17, 2008 11:06 am

Further reading on their website shows the work they're doing to ready the locomotive for service, and the most recent newsletter mentioned that they are in the process of acquiring passenger cars and are looking forward to operating very near to home base and intend to stay there a while.

There are places to go --- getting there is 90% of the trouble. The 3751, 261, etc faces the same hurdles that the 765 does. Years (literally) of planning can go into a trip. Bottom line is the days of restoring your locomotive and having NRHS chapters just waiting to put a trip together for you are over.

firefighter25dfd
Railroader

Postby firefighter25dfd » Sat May 17, 2008 3:23 pm

Tim, Any chance she comes down the OC for awhile and gets some work in?

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sun May 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Brian, tell us what you have been up to since leaving us a few years ago. I know you had a close call or maybe worse with weather down there in Florida. Doing any railfanning?

Wowak
Conductor

Postby Wowak » Mon May 19, 2008 1:17 am

I haven't been doing any railfanning whatsoever. After being threatened with lawsuit by a well known steam operator I decided to take some time off. That and the only operating steamers in the whole state run around in a big circle and you have to pay $100 to see them. (Although as testified by my presence here, I haven't forgotten, and you can't get it out of your blood.)

My big hobby at the moment is autocross, a form of competetive motorsports where drivers race one at a time through a course of cones set up in a large parking lot or on an unused runway. Unlike road racing the chance of actually damaging your car is minimal so most people can and do compete in cars they drive every day on the street. In my case I compete in an old Mazda Miata, which I bought largely for that purpose but lately I've been driving it almost exclusively because a) its a convertible and b) it gets significantly better gas mileage than my pickup. Anyway I'm fairly successful in my autocrossing endeavors (7 class wins in my region out of the 7 events I've attended so far this year) and its alot of fun.

In other news it appears that I'll be leaving the Space Coast and moving north and west to Pensacola Beach FL in the next month. That might get me a little bit closer to some operational steam.
-Former Moderator

tim o'm
Conductor

Postby tim o'm » Mon May 19, 2008 12:21 pm

Going back to Wowak's first post, on May 10th, we have to realize that we are still in the early part of the year. Certainly, the predictable historic steam and diesel excursion schedules are out, if not yet begun. For the once-in-a-while operations, they typically have little lead time to announce trips and sell tickets. Even the immediacy of the internet, e-mails, text messages and the like only reach those closest to the subject. By the time the general public hears about a trip, it is sold out, already over, or cancelled for some reason.

This is still the dilemma it was over 25 years ago. Without the Average Joe and his family hearing about specials, they won't ever be part of our future. :cry: Perhaps our best way around this is to encourage Joe's family to view our engines and cars at the destinations, and curb our nuttier friends who have the potential to scare away a new recruit.

Best of luck to all steam people, for a successful 2008 and years ahead.

Return to “General Discussion”