HELP! HELP! I think I'm becoming a FOAMER!

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

HELP! HELP! I think I'm becoming a FOAMER!

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:27 am

Yes, it's true. I'm really scared. Scairt! What is happening to me?
A few years ago, I chased my first train. The CP 2816 when it came to Minnesota and passed by within a tantalizing distance of home. Temptation won, and I found myself on the road, loaded with too many cameras and having SOMEONE ELSE drive MY car so that I could take pictures! That is unheard of in my world!

Now I am tempted to go a bit farther. I'm thinking of driving to American Siberia, Fargo, and chase the 4449 back to Minneapolis. I'll probably drive myself this time and just leap ahead and take pictures as it chugs past. That way I can spend the night there free at my son's house
and chase the '49 out in the morning.

If I do that, does this mean I'm beyond help? Do I have to start wearing baggy Bermuda shorts, a flowered print shirt and have three cameras hanging from my neck?

Is there a Foamers Anonymous anywhere?

And lastly, is anyone else planning to chase from Fargo to Mpls.? I'll stay out of your way if you stay out of mine.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Hogger1225
Railfan

Re: HELP! HELP! I think I'm becoming a FOAMER!

Postby Hogger1225 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:32 am

Stick the fork in you, you're done!
I get paid for doing what you like to watch! LOL! (jk)

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:49 pm

Yeah, it sounds serious. Someday I'll show you my "foamer" engineer hat that I dare not wear to any steam functions. It has so many pins on it that you really can't see the hat. One or more from each steamer I have ridden, chased, or just seen. I'll also wave to you from the train. What are you going to be driving? If the track speed limit is 70 or 79 for passenger along that line, good luck catching Doyle.
And Bill, are you going to be running the 1225 during the Trainfest excursions? You were my instructor engineer way back in 2000 at an EFAH event. Still wearing the Kromer cap?

Hogger1225
Railfan

Postby Hogger1225 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Yes, I will be working the Excursions during the event. Sometimes wear the Kromer, sometimes an SRI Engine Crew hat.
I get paid for doing what you like to watch! LOL! (jk)

tracymckibben
Railfan

Postby tracymckibben » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:47 pm

Mark - I'm planning to chase 4449 part of the way. I live in the SW metro, I'm going to try to meet up with it around Albertville, if I can get a rough idea of when it's coming in and on which route. My assumption is that it's coming in along Hwy 10.

I'm also booked for the October excursion to Winona/La Crescent. Can't wait!

Fitz, I finally figured out what Chaski is, I had no idea this site existed!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:20 am

Well I wish I could tell you when it will be going through Albertville, but experience tells me that nobody really knows.
I would guess that you could expect it to leave Fargo around 8:00 AM. But they will get stabbed by every revenue train that they run against. They will also have to stop for servicing the engine at least twice, and maybe twice that. I'm told they have only one Alemite gun. If this is true, a service stop is going to be a long time.
I'd bet you could arrive in Albertville sometime mid afternoon and be in good shape to still catch them.
Let me also add that even though you can cruise pretty well along 10 if traffic isn't too heavy, it will be difficult to impossible to keep up with them if they're running track speed.
I recall when we took 261 to St. Cloud and ran back along Hwy 10 that people trying to beat us back to the shop arrived a half hour after we did. and we got helt up at Northtown yard for a good 15 mts.

I'm still not 100% positive that I will be going to Fargo, but if you want to PM me a cell phone number, if you have one, I could call you from farther out to let you know what's going on.
Mark D.

tracymckibben
Railfan

Postby tracymckibben » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:43 pm

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:21 pm

Looks like a good area. Good luck.
Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:31 pm

This is getting more and more interesting. I heard from Brent that he will be accompanying the Friends of 261 cars headed for Portland. Tracy, I got your number and if I am not tied up with something, will call you. Received the "Rules of Engagement" from Doyle today. No question who is in charge. I sure hope it all goes as planned, as this will be my first trip out on the road as crew instead of a paying passenger. As a passenger I learned what the payers expect, and hope to be able to deliver a good trip to them.

Return to “General Discussion”