Engine Pictures for the Hot Rod Folks - Eye Candy

For discussions that drift from original topic.
An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly railroad related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Engine Pictures for the Hot Rod Folks - Eye Candy

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:28 pm

I haven’t had the time to be at the 261 shop much lately, so I really can’t talk much about progress there, although I know work is progressing well toward dropping the drivers out of the beast soon. I also haven’t had time for anything but work lately, but I thought maybe some eye candy on the off topic forum might be useful to someone.

I am guilty of influencing my eldest son during his formative years. The result is that he took what I had as a hobby and turned it into a vocation.
Below are a few of his projects, starting with his very first, during his senior year in High School. There are a whole lot more than these. These are the ones I had readily available photo’s for.

His ’67 Buick Riviera. It was my car. It had no engine when I acquired it. The owner was about to scrap it. I got it, with title, for just taking it away. it had a good body and seemed like a great candidate for a resto job.
Son had other ideas. He wanted me to give it to him. No way. I told him he could earn it. He did slave labor for me and when I decided he’d done enough, the car was his.
It has a basically stock 455 cid Buick engine, bored .030. This is a 4400 pound car with standard highway gearing. With a decent intake and carb and a slightly radical for the street cam it runs a pretty consistent ¼ mile of mid 11’s . I don’t recall the mph. I’d guess mid to high 120’s
He still has the car, but doesn't drive it much these days.

c-mark dalquist 67 riv 004.jpg
c-mark dalquist 67 riv 004.jpg (48.34 KiB) Viewed 3346 times

An interior shot.
c-mark dalquist 67 riv 006.jpg
c-mark dalquist 67 riv 006.jpg (41.53 KiB) Viewed 3346 times

The car

The attachment c-mark dalquist 67 riv 004.jpg is no longer available

More in the next post
Attachments
c-mark dalquist 67 riv 002.jpg
c-mark dalquist 67 riv 002.jpg (37.19 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Engine Pictures for the Hot Rod Folks - Eye Candy

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:52 pm

A very red Chevelle. He did this for an individual in the town he lives in. Fargo.
Engine is a big block Chev, 505 cid. Wild on the street. He calls it “brutal.” Most people who the owner has given a ride to won’t get in the car a second time.

chevelle1resized 50percent.jpg
chevelle1resized 50percent.jpg (119.2 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

Another 505 Chev. This engine wound up in a ’73 Monte Carlo on the street. It’s more mild than the one above, and in a heavier car, but it has a lot of punch. It’ll certainly make my old Ford 427 (that I don’t have anymore) look slow.

shipley_1resized 75percent.jpg
shipley_1resized 75percent.jpg (101.82 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

shipley_3resized.jpg
shipley_3resized.jpg (99.13 KiB) Viewed 3344 times

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:02 pm

And one more 505 Chevy. This one he calls “Big Daddy.” Dyno’d at 498 horsepower. I used to have the torque figures, but no more.
In a ’83 Firebird (fiberglass body) it runs a very consistent ¼ mile of 8:57 at 153 mph. It is a stock GM block. Brodix heads were added recently. It’s had several seasons old with only freshening over the winter. He does all the mechanical and electrical work on this car. Everything but the paint, yet his main focus is building the engines. What's nice is they work as designed and they last. He has an engine running in a Superstock class oval track car. The rules in that class are quite restrictive with regard to what can be done with the engine to make power, or to make it last better. He also advises the car owner / driver on gearing, tires, etc. The car consistantly wins or finishes in the top five. It can pull every other car on the track down the straights because it simply produces more power. Yet, it is completely legal for the class. It's all in knowing how to 'tune' it.

TAYLOR RACING 032.jpg
TAYLOR RACING 032.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

TAYLOR RACING 015.jpg
TAYLOR RACING 015.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

TAYLOR RACING 010.jpg
TAYLOR RACING 010.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:22 pm

And last but certainly not least is one of his most recent creations.

this is for the FORD guys out there, a Ford Windsor based 427.
This engine is based on the 351 Windsor, but that is really the only thing Ford about it…The fact that it’s BASED on a Ford block. There are no Ford factory parts anywhere in this engine. Not even the block or crank. Not the water pump or distributor. Nothing.
It is about to go into a ’67 Mustang, once the body and chassis work are done.
After that the car will get final paint.
I was at the dyno tests, and it’s a beast, I can tell you that. The owner is having this car built up for his 18 year old son. After work had started on the engine, he apparently had second thoughts and asked my son to keep it down to as close to 500 hp as he can. The original concept was for around 600 hp.
Son changed the cam profile design a bit and figured it would run about 550 hp on the dyno, thus a compromise between father and son.
The dynamometer tests ended up, after tuning, as shown below.
This thing ought to make that little pony car come alive.
A body shop is doing body work, son is doing chassis, electrical, accessory and mechanical. It should be on the road in August if all goes well.
When it is finished, If I can remember, I will post photo’s of the finished product.
D 427 FORD DYNO PHOTS AND VIDS Jan15 2010ForBrustMustang 002.jpg
D 427 FORD DYNO PHOTS AND VIDS Jan15 2010ForBrustMustang 002.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

D 427 FORD DYNO PHOTS AND VIDS Jan15 2010ForBrustMustang 009.jpg
D 427 FORD DYNO PHOTS AND VIDS Jan15 2010ForBrustMustang 009.jpg (38.52 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

And here's a 454 he did for a customer with a 64 Impala. Again, on this car he did all but the body and paint work.
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 017.jpg
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 017.jpg (35.74 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

A couple more of this car in the next post.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:36 pm

A few more shots of the '64 Chev, showing some other work done on the car.

Here's a view of part of the custom exhaust system, tig welded of course, and the plumbing and wiring for part of the air suspension system.
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 030.jpg
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 030.jpg (56.14 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

A view of a way to keep those air conditioner lines out of view. From the firewall, thry run between the wheel well and the fender.
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 023.jpg
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 023.jpg (38.27 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

The custom dash, partly completed
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 013.jpg
Bunkyslatestcustom64chev 013.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 3343 times

Every time I look at some of the photo's I have of this stuff it makes me want to start another hot rod project. I just don't have the time because I have too many projects, and the Milw. 261 is still at the every top of the list.

Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:36 pm

Cool stuff, Mark. A lot of power there. Last month my son-in-law and I went to a car show and found an old '32 or so Chev with the new Corvette motor. I forgot the acronymn they had for it, but it was alleged to have 505 HP according to the poster in front of the car. Someone said the motor cost $15,000. Is that a fact?

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 pm

I don't know what it costs to buy an engine for a late model Corvette, but with all the controls etc. I'd guess that 15 grand isn't out of line. That is a base engine. The Z07 Corvette is 550 hp, IIRC. The Cadillac CTS-V shares the Z07 engine. That's one MOVIN' Caddi, eh?
Of course, the Cadillac STS-V, which uses a supercharged version of the venerable Northstar engine, has around 450 hp. Still nothing to sneer at.
I now have photo's of the headers he built for the superstock that help make it the winner it is.
That superstock took clean sweeps at all three tracks it raced at last week. At a track in South Dakota, with 3 laps to go he was nearly a lap ahead of the second place car until there was a caution flag, so the field was all bunched back up. When the green came back out, there were 3 laps. He took the checkered flag a full straightaway ahead of the second place car and was into lap traffic.
So, the officials did a partial teardown. Naturally, they found nothing out of line with the rules.
Son says they could do a complete teardown and they won't find anything. It's all in how you 'tune' it.
Mark D.

Return to “Roundhouse discussions”