Last voyage

For discussions that drift from original topic.
An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly railroad related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Last voyage

Postby Mark D » Mon May 08, 2006 10:13 am

Again, from the same source as the others;

Next Stop: Alang?
May 6: SS BLUE LADY (ex FRANCE, NORWAY) finally left her Port Klang anchorage on Friday at 16:00, according to local reports. The famed ship was taken under tow, and, unless she is resold enroute, will be beached at Alang for scrapping with an estimated arrival date of 1 June.

This, in the marine world, would be similar to scrapping the last remaining NYC Hudson. Or maybe an Allegheny.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Last voyage

Postby Mark D » Mon May 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Well, it turns out now that it's still potentially NOT the last voyage.
I've never had much time for "Greenpeace" in the past, because their tactics tend to sometimes border on envoronmental terrorism and because they seem to have the idea that they have all the correct ideas and nobody else knows anything and everyone is wrong but Greenpeace.
However! In this case I think I sort of like their activity, although what I like is not what they're trying to do so much as the result of their intentions.
Admittedly, their concerns about asbestos are well founded. But of greater importance to me is that because of their stand on asbestos, the grand old Norway gets a few more days, weeks, hours or? of life.
Read the article below, copied from Maritime Matters dot com.
Mark D.

"BLUE LADY Blues, Continued
May 19: SS BLUE LADY (ex FRANCE, NORWAY) departed under tow from Port Klang, Malaysia to Alang, India earlier this month, but is now headed where? Greenpeace activists have succeeded in persuading the Gujarat Maritime Authority to ban the ship from Indian waters until a hearing is held on 1 July to determine if she is too toxic to be beached at the notorious Alang/Sosiya shipbreaking yards. After concerted protests, the ship was banned from the less stringent Chittagong, Bangladesh delta earlier this year.

So, whither BLUE LADY? Will she accidentally beach at Alang like the controversial RIKY (ex KONG FREDERIK IX) last year, creating a maelstrom of angst that eventually fizzled out, allowing the ship to be demolished, after all? Or will she be sent back like the French aircraft carrier CLEMENCEAU, which returned to France for decontamination. Will she await a decision from the Indian authorities anchored in monsoonal waters and be taken by swells like so many recently lost scrap-bound liners?

Once the most celebrated ocean liner in the world, the SS FRANCE was launched by Madame Charles de Gaulle. Her furniture, fittings, and artwork were the epitome of midcentury magnificent. Her funnels were aesthetic masterpieces, towering over her sculpted superstructure like two pairs of crimson and black angels' wings.

As the NORWAY, she introduced the "mega ship" experience to legions of Caribbean cruisers. It took about a decade for the competition to catch up, but even when they did, the NORWAY still carried on with a loyal following.

Now, she is the pariah of the seas, denied access to even the world's most undesirable ports."

In my own humble opinion, it would be better if the old girl were to "accidentally" sink rather than be broken up and melted down into razor blades.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “Roundhouse discussions”