Check out this joint - G.M. Corp. HQ.

For discussions that drift from original topic.
An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly railroad related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Check out this joint - G.M. Corp. HQ.

Postby Mark D » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Thought I'd post this photo just because I think it's a cool building. Even cooler inside, but it's pretty good outside, too. Heck, the back door is more impressive than the front of most company buildings. Not trying to say that an impressive building is the way to success, but it's just plain a cool building.
If there's any interest, I have a few photo's of the inside, too, but mostly of the cars, not the cool archetecture. I do have the back door, though.
Mark D.
Attachments
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 061.jpg
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 061.jpg (53.85 KiB) Viewed 5361 times
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Re: Check out this joint - G.M. Corp. HQ.

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:51 am

Hard to tell what is painted on and what is reflection. Are those vertical strips in the central tower reflections of the rounded corners of the building at the sides of the photo, or something else?

Some archetechs have all the fun. (Then, there are those that build buildings like this one. :lol: )

What is the back door like?
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:48 pm

Charles, I believe the two dark vertical stripes are shadow's from the two towers on the left and right foreground.
The GM advertising on the central tower is something like a hologram that's applied to the glass of the tower. It can be changed at will.
When I can, I'll post a pic of the rear. It faces the Detroit river. This building is only about a block away from the Old Mariners Church. Don't know what that is?
Well, are you familiar with that old Gordon Lightfoot song, The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald? The song that immortalizes the crew of that 729 foot ore carrier that went down in a raging storm on Lake Superior in November of 1975. Part of the lyrics goes,"In a musty old hall in Detroit, they prayed. The church bell rang twenty nine times, for each man on the Edmund Fitzgerald." The entire crew was lost, and no bodies were ever recovered. The ship following the big Fitz, as it was known at the time, was the 767 foot Arthur M. Anderson. The Fitz had, at one point, had lost all it radars and other nav equipment due to storm damage, and was taking water. The seas were washing over the entire ship, at times burying the bridge under green water. The Anderson was suffering the same beating, but for some reason never lost its radars and other nav gear. They did lose lifeboats.
A Swedish registered ocean freighter left the Soo Locks that evening. After waiting a while in Whitefish Bay for the storm to subside, the captain decided that they would go out. The pilot recommended against it, but the captain said, of the conditions, "Bah, it is only a lake."
The pilot is on record as having replied, "Ok, I can't stop you. But you ain't going to get very far."
Twelve hours later they had made something like ten miles, and had suffered some storm damage including the loss of the pilot house door.

Anyway, back to the subject, that church was built in +/- 1875 as a place for the families of the sailors lost on the great lakes, and for sailors themselves. It is maintained in beautiful condition and is still used as a church today.
I'll be back with some other photo's from GM HQ. Quite a contrast when compared to the Ford Motor Company corporate HQ, which is situated out in a patch of weeds and shaped like a giant kleenix box with windows.
But then, Ford has this museum....
Mark D.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:40 pm

Ok, here's the back door to the place. But before that, here's a photo of some of the cars scattered around the place. Taken from a mostly glass mezzanine a floor above. Then a photo of the back door from the inside, and then from the outside. Looking out from the inside, that's Canada over there across the river.
Mark D.
Attachments
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 032.jpg
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 032.jpg (55.13 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 031.jpg
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 031.jpg (57.5 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 008.jpg
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 008.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 5290 times

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:51 pm

And, since I made such a big deal over it, here's a pic of the Old Mariners Church
And, Ok, I can't resist. Here's the Ford Motor Company corporate HQ. I think the "fairness doctrine" requires it?
Attachments
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 070.jpg
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 070.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 048.jpg
DeeetroitMichiganBobSegerConcertDayAfter2007 048.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 5298 times

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 am

Backdoor from outside reminds me Cincinatti Union Station YEARS ago... from my feeble memory (I think I was about 4 when we drove (in an automobile) past it).
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Return to “Roundhouse discussions”