Has anyone here worked on an offshore oil rig?

For discussions that drift from original topic.
An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly railroad related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Has anyone here worked on an offshore oil rig?

Postby Mark D » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:21 pm

I've been offered a job of helping to install, and then operate and maintain, new power generators on at least one of over a dozen oil platforms being put back in service on the Northwest Coast. I'd be paid very, very well. Roughly 10 hour days, and one month on and one month off. I'd go for it in a minute if I lived up near there. But being here in Minnesota, I'm not so sure I want to leave my wife for that long, especially with winter coming on. And I'm not so sure I want to leave my house for that long at a stretch.
But I could sure use a decent income for a change. And, if I were younger I'd probably go for it in a second. I'm physically fit, but I also realize that I'm an old fart anyway.

I'm tempted, but am looking for inside information on what life is like on an oil platform. These are not floating. They're true platforms.

I'll be meeting with the guy (A friend of mine who has a contract to fulfill) this week. He'll be wanting an answer.
Thanks,
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “Roundhouse discussions”