A few airplane shots I took last May

For discussions that drift from original topic.
An informal area for conversations, humor and observations that aren't necessarily strictly railroad related. No discussion of politics or religion. Ads are not permitted.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

A few airplane shots I took last May

Postby Mark D » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:06 pm

I shot these from an upper deck off the coast of AK last May. At the very time I was there, the 261 was in Milwaukee, on its way back from Chicago after the movie shoot.
I know where I'd have rather been, but I had to make the best of a situation.
So I took pictures.This particular morning we were running south. I think I was the only one out on deck. The whole rest of the passengers and crew were below, doing who knows what. Nothing related to a boat ride, that's for sure.
So I was standing there watching water when I heard the sound of a multi engine propeller aircraft approaching. Looking around, I spotted this dot that was coming toward us, descending and in a turn toward us. He was coming from the southeast. I decided "Hey, this is going to be cool!" So I got my camera ready. When he got little closer, I squeezed the trigger, and ka-chee ka-chee ka-chee until he passed behind us below the level of our funnels, and climbed out and away toward the southwest.
So, I just thought it was interesting. The aircraft was a Canadian owned P-3 Orion. Probably electronic surveillance or sub chaser. Practicing. maybe there was a submarine below the surface not far away from us.

I actually took photo's the whole time he was approaching and moving away, but this was all I feel like uploading. Like, 45 minutes already spent getting these up on the site.
Mark D.
Attachments
BoatTripFilmCameraRolls5883-5884-5881-5882-5885-5886 143.jpg
BoatTripFilmCameraRolls5883-5884-5881-5882-5885-5886 143.jpg (695.23 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
BoatTripFilmCameraRolls5883-5884-5881-5882-5885-5886 142.jpg
BoatTripFilmCameraRolls5883-5884-5881-5882-5885-5886 142.jpg (755.63 KiB) Viewed 4740 times
BoatTripFilmCameraRolls5883-5884-5881-5882-5885-5886 141.jpg
BoatTripFilmCameraRolls5883-5884-5881-5882-5885-5886 141.jpg (684.73 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Re: A few airplane shots I took last May

Postby Fitz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Mark, man are those photos huge. You are right that the airplane is a Lockheed P-3, but the Canadian Armed Forces call theirs CP-140's. If I remember right, they have a completely different set of equipment installed than the US Navy version. Nice shots.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Huge? You should see them before I shrunk them to fit here!
I have better detail here than I can post on the web.
Yes, I figured the Canuck's would have some model of their own. It only makes sense. But I only know it as a P3 Orion, or a Lockheed (Lougheed) Electra. Should be Electra II, IMO.
Same plane that... Remember that Galaxie Airlines wreck in Vegas a couple decades ago? The one where someone forgot to latch an access panel, it came loose as soon as it was airborn, caused heavy oscillations in the airframe, causing the crew to panic and they sort of forgot to fly the plane? Same model.

I read in the news last week that the Iranian's were harrassing our Navy in the Strait of Hormuz again. They were overflying our ships with what was identified by our Navy as a P-3. They said it is considered obsolete and not a threat. Well, maybe you know this, Fitz. Isn't our Navy still using P-3's as sub chasers? If not, I understand. If they are, then it must be the electronics inside that is obsolete. In any case, no P-3 would be a direct threat to a surface navy, but indirectly could cause much harm.

The crew on that Canuck plane must have really been enjoying their flight, though. Beautiful day for flying. And buzzing boats.
Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:55 pm

Mark, I have been retired from Loughead so long that I don't know what they use the P-3's for any more. We replaced the systems in our airplanes routinely, and I'm out of the loop now.

Kevin Gillespie
Railfan

Postby Kevin Gillespie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:36 pm

Gents,

I'm glad I drifted into Roundhouse Discussions. I, too am also an aircraft enthusiast.

The Canadians use their version of the P3 which they call the "Aurora" for the Maritime Reconnaissance and ASW mission. I suspect there might have been a few bikinis on the deck that required maritime reconnaissance in depth.

Postwar, the RCAF used the venerable Avro Lancaster in the maritime recon role into the 60's. The Lanc's were replaced by the Canadair Argus, a unique Canadian piston design. The Aurora's took over in the 80's.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Well, Kevin, I sure would have liked it if that had been an old Lancaster!!!!!
COOL!
Still, it was fun to watch that old Lockheed Electra fly by.

I can attest to the fact that there was absolutely nobody out on any upper deck than I. Temps were in the low 40's, and most people were either stuffing their faces or at some silly thing below decks, like an "art auction" or who knows what. Nothing related to boats, that's for sure. My wife was also down there somewhere. I kept seeing all sorts of cool stuff by being on upper decks almost the entire trip, but I could NOT get her to leave the warmth of the Lido deck. So, being the only one to actually witness this, I had to share it with someone, somewhere, so I posted it here.

My thought was that the ship was being used as a practice target for either just the aircraft, or possibly a sub was below using us as a practice target, and the Canuck was practicing trying to find a submarine.
In any case, they made my day.

Mark D.

Return to “Roundhouse discussions”